Find out which labiaplasty technique is the most optimal for your desired results.
In this article we take an in-depth look at the two most common labiaplasty procedures, namely the Labiaplasty Trim Technique (Curvilinear Technique) and the Labiaplasty Wedge Technique (Central V-Wedge Resection) and explain the differences between them.
Many women experience discomfort and/or confidence issues due to the appearance of irregular, enlarged or protruding labia. Labia minora hypertrophy is a condition in which one or both labia of the inner labia are larger than the norm. This can cause physical discomfort and pain due to tugging and chafing during physical activities such as exercise and intercourse, as well as psychological problems which can impact intimacy and self esteem.
What is the Difference Between the Trim Labiaplasty Technique and The Wedge Labiaplasty Technique?
Below we will outline the differences between the two very common techniques.
Trim Labiaplasty Technique
The most commonly employed technique is the Trim Labiaplasty Technique, also described as the “Curved Linear Resection” or “Curvilinear Technique”. In essence, the technique involves the surgeon making a longitudinal, curved, linear cut to remove the excess tissue of the outer edges of the vaginal lips of the labia minora from top to bottom. During the procedure the surgeon will create bi-lateral symmetry of the inner labia, while also shortening the length, and thinning the labia so that it will fit neatly inside the folds of the outer labia (the labia majora). Women seeking a more “petite ” look often opt for the Trim Technique.
Advantages of the Trim Technique
- Heals faster than other techniques and there is less overall risk of complication during healing.
- Ideal for women who wish to remove the thickened, pigmented outer edges of the inner labia for a uniform color and streamlined aesthetic.
- More suitable for correcting asymmetries between the left and right labia, as this technique allows the surgeon more flexibility on designing the contours of each side to make them symmetrical.
- Provides natural, delicate-looking results without the appearance of darkly pigmented tissue.
Things to Consider When Opting for the Trim Labiaplasty Technique
After the excess labial tissue is removed, the surgeon closes the incision with dissolvable sutures. The sutured area heals very well, and very little, if any scarring is perceptible if your surgeon is highly experienced in labiaplasty surgery.
Because this technique involves trimming the outer edges of the labia minora which meet with the clitoral bulb, the surgeon may recommend a clitoral hood reduction procedure if necessary. This procedure can be performed within the same appointment to provide for a natural, delicate looking contour of the entire vaginal area that flows from the clitoral area all the way down the vagina to the perineum.
Depending on your specific anatomy, if only the tissue of the labia minora is reduced, there is a possibility of the clitoral hood appearing disproportionately large. An experienced surgeon does however take this into consideration during the labiaplasty procedure so it is best to discuss what kind of results would be possible for your particular case and which approach your surgeon would recommend. We are offering free one-on-one consultations for a limited time, during which we will advise the best procedure for your desired results.
Wedge Labiaplasty Technique
A more recent labiaplasty technique that is now available and advised to some patients is the Wedge Labiaplasty Technique. The surgeon removes a V-shaped wedge of the inner labial tissue from both sides of the labia minora in order to shorten the labial tissue. The surgeon carefully maps out the incisions in order to achieve bilateral symmetry and in order to minimize the labia so that it fits within the lips of the labia majora. This technique is best suited for women experiencing the physical discomforts of labial hypertrophy.
Advantages of the Wedge Technique
- The Wedge technique retains the natural color and contour of the edges of the inner labia because the surgeon does not remove the pigmented outer edges or thin them, and instead shortens the labial tissue from a more interior aspect.
- It allows for the most natural look (for those who do not wish to remove the more darkly pigmented areas).
- It also allows for a more seamless transition of the labia with the clitoral bulb.
- Once the incision site is healed, the area of placement of the stitches is virtually undetectable.
- Women experiencing pain due to labial hypertrophy would benefit most from this technique
Things to Consider When Opting for the Wedge Labiaplasty Technique
The drawbacks of this technique are that it takes longer to heal than the Trim Technique, and there is a very small risk of the stitched area reopening before completely healing. Therefore, it is very important to take all precautions advised by your surgeon to avoid stretching and making rough contact with the area until it is fully healed.
Some women also may not wish to retain the pigmented edges of the labia, and so this would not be the best technique for them.
Re-cap of Differences Between the Trim and Wedge Labiaplasty Techniques
- Removes darkly pigmented outer edges for a uniform color
- Thins the inner labia for a delicate more petite look
- Fast healing time
- Natural looking results
- Reduce the length of the inner labia
- Labia minora sits within the folds of the labia majora
- Bilateral Symmetry
- Can be performed under local or general anesthesia
- Improve comfort and confidence
- Increased sexual satisfaction
- More favorably addresses discomfort due to labial hypertrophy
- Retains natural contour and pigmentation
- Smoother transition with clitoral bulb
- Stitches imperceptible
- Longer healing
- Risk of separating the sutured area
It is important to discuss your motivation for considering labiaplasty so that your surgeon can arrange for a customized procedure to address your most important concerns. Ensure that your surgeon has ample experience in performing both labiaplasty techniques so that you are guaranteed the best possible outcome. Experienced surgeons using the most advanced techniques will use laser and radiofrequency knife technology for the finest precision and rapid healing. Labiaplasty is a life-changing elective procedure for many women, and as a result, should have you feeling your most confident, and most comfortable in your body.
Please rest assured that issues associated with labial appearance and symmetry are very common concerns for millions of women. However, thanks to recent advancements in surgical techniques, today women can achieve the desired vaginal appearance with minimally invasive procedures that can significantly improve their quality of life.
If you have any questions you can chat with our labiaplasty expert, or book a free one-on-one consultation with a labiaplasty surgeon in New York City today. +1 646-476-5791